Rumours rife ahead of world’s biggest gadget show
Gadget freaks around the world are on high alert ahead of the International Consumer Electronic Show (CES) which kicks off in Las Vegas on 8 January.
As always, the rumour-mongering ahead of CES has been out of control. Here are some of the big stories to watch that we’ve picked up from around the web:
- The release of Palm’s new Nova mobile operating system will be one of the most-watched events. Will the system be good enough to allow Palm to challenge Apple’s iPhone and Research In Motion’s Blackberry?
- Will Microsoft release a new version of its Zune MP3 player to take on the iPod?
- Will Sony release a new touch-screen version of its Walkman to take on the iPod?
- Will Google release its own netbook? These cut-down laptop computers have enjoyed a stunning rise in popularity over the last 12 months and many electronic manufacturers are expected to launch new products in this area at CES.
- Who will come up with the best 3D screen? Computers using 3D displays are seen as one of the hot new growth areas for electronics companies and Sony is expected to lead the charge.
While the financial crisis means CES will be slightly smaller than in recent years, interest in hot gadgets has never been higher and we’ll endeavour to bring the latest coverage as the week progresses.