Tips for an environmentally friendly Christmas
Want to celebrate Christmas and stay green? The Total Environment Centre has released tips for Christmas and New Year ideas to maintain a healthy impact on the environment.
The centre’s director Jeff Angel says the tips can help people keep doing things to help the environment well after Christmas is over.
“What most people don’t realise is that a few small changes during the festive season can really make a difference, particularly with the increases in energy, carbon emissions and consumption that are a result of the Christmas and new year period.”
The tips include:
- Using a native Christmas tree that you can use next Christmas or plant in your garden, as plastic trees often use toxic PCV.
- Use reusable shopping bags.
- Save power by turning off electronic appliances and enjoy time outside.
- Use recyclable materials to create your own Christmas cards.
- Switch off the Christmas lights before you go to bed, and better yet, make them solar powered!
- Buy second-hand and vintage gifts by searching through local stores.
- Giving a rainwater tank as a gift to friends who may own a garden.