Thousands of Australian NBN customers are set to get refunds as major telcos begin to investigate potential overcharging, reports The Australian, after concerns were raised customers were being advertised speeds that were not obtainable.
Telstra first announced it would begin investigating and refunding customers in May, Optus has recently announced it would do be doing the same.
“Optus is undertaking a similar process in respect of those customers where it has been confirmed that the underlying NBN service cannot deliver the speed they signed up for,” a spokesman told The Australian.
Additionally, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has today published guidance for internet retailers on how to advertise NBN speeds, hoping to move telcos away from advertising maximum possible speeds to advertising speeds consumers can expect during busy periods.
“With this guidance, if you buy a ‘Basic evening speed’ plan you should generally not expect speeds much different to your pre-NBN experience. If you buy ‘Standard evening speed’ or higher plans, you should expect certain minimum speeds during busy periods,” ACCC chairman Rod Sims said in a statement.
“Retailers should be very clear with customers about the typical speeds they can expect during busy evening periods. It is not acceptable to advertise an ‘up to’ speed claim, as this can give the false impression that the speed advertised is achievable at most times, including during the busy period.”
Businesses asked to audit themselves on potential terrorism threat
The Australian government has released a number of guidelines for businesses surrounding protection from potential terrorist attacks as part of its Strategy for Protecting Crowded Places from Terrorism plan unveiled last week.
A series of documents on the Australian National Security website provides guidelines for “owners and operators of crowded places to understand how attractive their location may be for a terrorist to attack” and “provides guidance on what steps to take next”.
One such document allows business owners to extensively audit their preparedness for the unlikely event of a terrorist attack, asking questions about a company’s Risk Management plans and evacuation and lockdown procedures.
“Are staff, including casuals and volunteers, trained in activation and operation of relevant plans?” and “Do your plans address active armed offender, hostile vehicles, trusted insider and improvised explosive device threats?” are some of the questions asked.
Those operating public spaces are asked to rate themselves via the government’s Self Assessment Tool, and contact state police to advise them of the result if their audit score is above a certain level.
VICE partners with small businesses to encourage enrolment for marriage equality vote
Mumbrella reports youth media website VICE is partnering with Australian SMEs to encourage people to enrol to vote in the upcoming marriage equality postal vote, with the August 24 deadline fast approaching.
VICE is asking businesses to offer discounts to those who can prove they have enrolled with the Australian Electoral Commission, listing the businesses who are on board on their website.
So far, several businesses have joined up with VICE, and any more who wish to sign up can do so through this form.
“Our collective dismay over the disconnect between the government and our beliefs led us to look inward to our own world. Namely, our resources and friends,” Wendy Syfret, head of verticals at VICE Australia told Mumbrella.
“By asking businesses to participate in this incentive we’re not just getting people to check their enrolment details. We want to remind people that, amid the hate and inequality, there are countless individuals who will do whatever is in their power to make a positive difference.”