You have the skills and the qualifications, although for some reason (or no reason) you aren’t offered a promotion. Stop waiting for opportunity to knock on your door and go and create your own.
The most powerful thing you can do when requesting a promotion is to be prepared, and this week’s video blog outlines six simple strategies:
Remember, it’s important to:
• Build relationships with key decision makers.
• Work smarter – only take on extra projects that are crucial to the business’s success.
• Track your achievements so you can talk about them whenever you need to.
• Dress for the position you want – ditch the ripped jeans if you want to get ahead.
• Don’t pigeonhole yourself – be strategic and use your lunchtime to meet people who might be able to assist your request.
• Have an ace up your sleeve – consider an external role if you can’t secure the one you want internally.
You can help us (and help yourself)
Small and medium businesses and startups have never needed credible, independent journalism and information more than now.
That’s our job at SmartCompany: to keep you informed with the news, interviews and analysis you need to manage your way through this unprecedented crisis.
Now, there’s a way you can help us keep doing this: by becoming a SmartCompany supporter.
Even a small contribution will help us to keep doing the journalism that keeps Australia’s entrepreneurs informed.