One of Australia’s leading entrepreneurs and startup advisers has been included in the latest global collection of one-of-a-kind Barbie dolls designed to show girls “they can be anything”.
Jane Martino is one of 12 “inspiring founders” to have a new Barbie created in their likeness, alongside powerhouse TV creator Shonda Rhimes, Chinese fashion designer Lan Yu, Global Digital Women founder Tijen Onaran and makeup entrepreneur Pat McGrath.
Martino is the chair and co-founder of tech-based not-for-profit Smiling Mind and the founder of marketing agency Undertow Media and digital platform Shout, which she sold to ANZ Bank back in 2015.
Described by Luxury Escapes co-founder Adam Schwab as “one of Australia’s shrewdest angel investors”, Martino has invested in and advised the likes of Tribe, Brandcrush, Expert 360 and Deliciou. She now works with Commonweath Bank’s x15ventures, and in 2021, helped judge the Smart50 Awards.
Martino is also the co-author of Mindfulness Made Easy and the author of five children’s books.
On LinkedIn, Martino said she was it was “incredibly humbling” to be represent Australia in Barbie and Mattel’s Role Models program.
What will the election mean to you?
Sign up to our free newsletter, including this weekend’s coverage of the election.
“I have spent my career (and life!) following my curiosity with purpose and intention — if I can support any young person to do the same through this program, that makes me feel incredibly proud,” she said.
The Barbie Role Models program is part of parent company Mattel’s Dream Gap Project, and in previous years has featured prominent female scientists, athletes, business leaders and activists.
This year’s group was unveiled in the lead up to International Women’s Day, alongside a number of other initiatives from Mattel, including a curated shop that features diverse, female-founded brands, a Barbie NFT art collection, and a new partnership with Inspiring Girls International to connect young girls with female role models around the world.
The latest 12 Barbie Role Models are:
- Shonda Rhimes (US): Founder of American television production company Shondaland;
- Ari Horie (US/Japan): Founder and CEO of Women’s Startup Lab and Women’s Startup Lab Impact Foundation;
- Pat McGrath (UK): Makeup artist and founder of Pat McGrath Labs;
- Melissa Sariffodeen (Canada): CEO and co-founder of Canada Learning Code and Ladies Learning Code;
- Adriana Azuara (Mexico): Founder of All4Spas;
- Doani Emanuela Bertain (Brazil): Teacher and founder of Sala 8;
- Jane Martino (Australia): Chair and co-founder of Smiling Mind;
- Lan Yu (China): Fashion designer;
- Butet Manurung (Indonesia): Founder and director of SOKOLA;
- Sonia Peronaci (Italy): Founder of Italian food website, ‘GialloZafferano’;
- Tijen Onaran (Germany): CEO and founder of Global Digital Women and co-founder of ACI Diversity Consulting; and
- Lena Mahfouf (France): Digital creator, videographer and Author of ‘Always More’.