Sydney and Perth suburbs, many of them in the cities’ outer rings, dominate a list of 42 top price growth hotspots for 2012.
The 42 suburbs have been cherry-picked from the “601 Top Suburbs” report compiled by Smart Investor magazine.
Out of the 601 suburbs, only 19 are expected to show price appreciation of more than 5% with eight each in NSW and Western Australia and three in Queensland.
Indicating the subdued outlook for Victoria in 2012, only seven suburbs are forecast to deliver returns of 4%.
The NSW list is made up entirely of Sydney suburbs, with half of these in the outer west – a growth hotspot identified by the likes of SQM Research director Louis Christopher and Douglas Driscoll, CEO of Starr Partners.
The WA list indicates a developing hotspot south of Perth, with median house price in Thornlie, Canning Vale and Willetton expected to grow more than 5% in 2012.
The Queensland list is made up entirely of remote mining towns.
NSW top growth suburbs in 2012 (5% plus)
- Cremorne Point units (north shore)
- Hillsdale units (eastern suburbs)
- Smithfield houses (outer west)
- Five Dock houses (west)
- Condell Park houses (outer west)
- North Rocks houses (outer west)
- Villawood houses (outer west)
- Marsfield units (north west)
WA top growth suburbs in 2012 (5% plus)
- West Perth houses and units
- South Hedland houses (mining, Pilbara)
- Willetton houses (south Perth)
- Bassendean houses (north east Perth)
- Port Kennedy houses (outer south Perth)
- Thornlie houses (south east Perth)
- Boulder houses (west Perth)
- Canning Vale houses (south Perth)
Queensland top growth suburbs in 2012 (5% plus)
- Moranbah houses (mining, Isaac region)
- Blackwater houses (mining near Rockhampton)
- Emerald houses and Units (mining, central highlands)
Victoria top growth suburbs in 2012 (4%)
- McCrae houses
- Kialla houses
- Maryborough houses
- Portland houses
- Horsham houses
- Red Cliffs houses
- Miners Rest houses
South Australia top growth suburbs in 2012 (4% plus)
- Roxby Downs houses
- Ingle Farm houses
- MunnoParaWest houses
ACT top growth suburbs in 2012 (4% plus)
- Gungahlin houses
- Monash houses
TAS top growth suburbs in 2012 (4% plus)
- New Town units
- Queenstown houses
- Lenah Valley houses
- New Town houses
- Blackmans Bay houses
NT top growth suburbs in 2012 (4% plus)
- Roseberry houses and units
- Bellamack houses
- Parap units
- Stuart Park houses
- Bakewell houses
- Gunn houses
This article first appeared on Property Observer.