Round two for Richard Pratt and Visy

The nightmare is far from over for billionaire Visy chief Richard Pratt. The New Zealand Commerce Commission has launched a prosecution of Pratt for Visy’s cartel with Amcor.

Amcor has been granted immunity from prosecutions by informing the NZCC of the cartel in 2004, but Pratt and former senior executives Harry Debney and Rod Carroll are named as defendants along with Visy’s NZ board.

Pratt is not facing jail in NZ but he could be up for more big fines. Penalties in NZ can represent 10% of group turnover for each offence. Visy’s annual turnover is reportedly $3 billion a year.

Six companies are named as victims in NZ, including Goodman Fielder and Inghams.

Of the NZ box market, 60% is shared by Visy and Amcor. The other 40% is held by Carter Holt Harvey, which is co-operating with NZCC. The existence of an extra player will make proving damages suffered by customers more difficult according to plaintiff lawyers.

You can help us (and help yourself)

Small and medium businesses and startups have never needed credible, independent journalism and information more than now.

That’s our job at SmartCompany: to keep you informed with the news, interviews and analysis you need to manage your way through this unprecedented crisis.

Now, there’s a way you can help us keep doing this: by becoming a SmartCompany supporter.

Even a small contribution will help us to keep doing the journalism that keeps Australia’s entrepreneurs informed.

Trending

COMMENTS

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments