Four grants SMEs can apply for in the flood aftermath


There are several grants you can apply for if your business has been affected by the flood disaster in northern NSW or southeast Queensland.

If it’s all feeling like a bit much, reach out to a trained financial counsellor at the Small Business Debt Helpline — they offer a free service to help you find and apply for grants, concession loans and bill relief to help your business recover.

Here are four other grants available.

Telstra’s Local Flood Grants

Last week the telco giant confirmed at least $250,000 to help in the flood recovery, with grants of up to $10,000 available in either cash or technology for organisations.

It’s in addition to earlier announcements, including sending out more than 3,000 Smart Modems 2 so customers remain connected while repairs are underway.

Customers who have been displaced from their business have been offered a call diversion service to any Australian number, a 100GB data pack for customers on a mobile plan, and 25GB plus free calls for pre-paid customers.

Support also includes a free Telstra fixed line connection to a temporary address and a reconnection of the phone line at the permanent address.

“Volunteers have been giving their time in really difficult conditions to keep their local communities safe. Whether it’s the SES, lifesaving or sporting clubs, Rotary, Probus, groups of neighbours or even strangers — volunteers have been pulling together to rescue people, give them shelter, provide them with a hot meal and clean clothes and making sure they are cared for,” Telsta chief Andrew Penn says.

All you need to do is fill in this form.

CommBank’s Flood Relief Grants

If you’re an organisation (profit or non-profit) that is directly affected by the floods, or you’re helping in the relief, recovery and resilience efforts, grants of up to $10,000 are available.

Relief means those who are getting supplies and services that speak to an immediate need in the community, or even a life-or-death situation.

Recovery is those things that help strengthen the community after the emergency response, while resilience is around improving education and raising awareness to better prepare for future disaster events.

You’ve got to be located in the Australian Government National Recovery and Resilience Agency’s impacted regions and have an Australian Business Number (ABN) — but this one is not open to individuals.

Businesses can also apply to defer their loan replayments, refund merchant terminal fees for up to three months, and get early access to term deposits accounts.

All you need to do is apply here.

ANZ’s Disaster Relief Package

The Disaster Relief Package is for personal and business customers affected by the floods — but the bank says it will tailor support to suit the needs of the applicant.

Among ANZ’s offerings are a short term payment relief on home loans, credit cards, personal loans and some business loans, and a fee waiver for restructuring business loans and accessing term deposits.

If you have ANZ Home and Contents Insurance, you may be eligible for emergency funds and temporary accommodation too.

All you need to do is apply here.

(Bank with someone else? Check out this super useful resource from the Australian Banking Association for getting the info you need).

NSW and Queensland Storm and Flood Disaster Recovery Small Business Grant

Small businesses, sole traders and not-for-profit organisations can apply for funding grants of up to $50,000 to clean up and reinstate activities in NSW and Queensland.

It might include tradespeople conducting safety inspections, equipment and materials for cleaning up, paying a cleaner, the removal of debris, repairing premises and internal fittings, leasing temporary premises, and repairing (or replacing) vehicles.

Here’s how it works: affected businesses in Queensland and NSW can get $15,000 upfront (if you provide photos and other evidence), and then $35,000 for later recovery and reopening costs.

You do have to tick some boxes: you need to have had an ABN, or if you’re a charity, you need to have been registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC), plus a few others.

Even small businesses outside the defined disaster area can apply if they operate on a part-time or regular basis inside of it, and equipment your small business owns was damaged.

All you need to do is apply here if you’re in NSW or apply here if you’re in Queensland.


Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
SmartCompany Plus

Sign in

To connect a sign in method the email must match the one on your SmartCompany Plus account.
Or use your email
Forgot your password?

Want some assistance?

Contact us on: or call the hotline: +61 (03) 8623 9900.