While most superannuation savers can expect their fund to have performed strongly since the Global Financial Crisis, recent numbers on super performance reveals there’s still a big gap between the best and worst performers.
The latest findings about leading superannuation funds from research house SuperRatings show Australian super members have seen accumulated growth of 117% since the effects of the GFC were felt in 2009. However, some super funds were able to power ahead more strongly than others.
Over the past nine years to February, SuperRatings reports the median balanced option fund has delivered an average return of 9% per annum. For members selecting a growth option investment strategy, the return has been 9.9% on average. SuperRatings have also highlighted that members who switched from a riskier growth option to a balanced option during the GFC would be approximately $17,700 worse off today.
In a statement, SuperRatings chief executive Kirby Rappell said the recorded figures suggest “a focus on long term performance is essential”.
“While members may feel unnerved by recent volatility, it is impossible to ignore the significant gains that super funds have delivered since the start of the bull market in 2009.”
SuperRatings reports the Australian super fund with the worst performance only just managed to surpass the rate of inflation in July 2013, indicating a significant gap between the best and worst performing funds. Assuming a starting figure of $100,000 in 2009, SuperRatings said the highest-performing would sit at $234,799 in 2018, whereas the worst-performing fund would be worth $171,680.
The top 10 performing balanced funds over the past 10 years are:
- REST Core Strategy (7% p.a.)
- CareSuper Balanced (6.9% p.a.)
- AustralianSuper Balanced (6.8% p.a.)
- Equip MyFuture Balanced Growth (6.8% p.a.)
- HOSTPLUS Balanced (6.8% p.a.)
- Cbus Growth (Cbus MySuper) (6.7% p.a.)
- Catholic Super Balanced (MySuper) (6.6% p.a.)
- Sunsuper for Life Balanced (6.5% p.a.)
- FIrst State Super Growth (6.4% p.a.)
- AustSafe Super MySuper (Balanced) (6.4% p.a.)
The top 10 performing growth funds over the past 10 years are:
- CareSuper Growth (7.3% p.a.)
- Energy Super Growth Option (7.3% p.a.)
- HOSTPLUS Shares Plus (7.2% p.a.)
- Catholic Super Moderately Aggressive (7.1% p.a.)
- BUSSQ Premium Choice High Growth (7% p.a.)
- HESTA Shares Plus (6.9% p.a.)
- REST Diversified (6.9% p.a.)
- NGS Super High Growth (6.9% p.a.)
- AustralianSuper High Growth (6.8% p.a.)
- Equip MyFuture Growth (6.7% p.a.)