As I’m always saying, good payroll professionals are very hard to find.
Because there is no education requirement for the payroll industry, with the first nationally accredited payroll qualifications only launched earlier this year, it is difficult to ascertain who the best people are for the job before they start.
Once good payroll professionals are in a job, the employer typically does all they can to keep them there.
In the process of sourcing the best payroll professionals for our members and clients, I am often asked about the most effective methods of identifying, contacting and ultimately engaging the best payroll people in the market.
There are certain characteristics and trends that have become evident when identifying these increasingly sought after individuals. And it’s not what you might think.
In general, the best payroll people:
- Are not trawling through SEEK or other online search engines looking for a new job. They are fully engaged with their employer and are recognised for the value that they bring to the organisation.
- Are not overly accessible via social media. Their working life is full as is typically their private life.
- Are interested in a qualified network that delivers genuine value to their jobs and their careers. They ensure they are kept on newsletter lists that keep them up to date with changes and trends in the payroll industry.
- See value in engaging with people that fully understand the intricacies of the payroll function and the broader payroll sector. They are good networkers, so can be active in discussion groups, both on and off line.
- Like to hear about a genuine value proposition that may benefit them and their career both personally and professionally. They are typically commercial and understand the value they bring to a payroll operation.
Payroll is more widely seen as a profession than ever before, and therefore employers are more particular in what skills, competencies and qualifications than in the past.
In the payroll office of 2013, payroll processing is just part of the job. Delivering business intelligence and providing superior customer service are increasingly sought after.
If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to contact me at [email protected]