Australia’s most popular shopping centres for 2015 revealed
Friday, December 11, 2015/
Melbourne’s Chadstone Shopping Centre has topped the list of Australia’s most popular retail destinations.
An average 396,000 Australians flood Chadstone Shopping Centre during any four-week period, according to data compiled by Roy Morgan Research.
Westfield in Parramatta comes in at a close second, with an average 385,000 shoppers every four weeks.
Melbourne Central came in at number three on the list with an average 307,000 customers.
The Victorian capital appears to be Australia’s retail powerhouse with eight of the top 20 shopping centres calling Melbourne home.
This is backed up by research published last year by Roy Morgan, which found almost 60% of Victorians aged 14 or over had bought something from a Melbourne shopping centre in the previous four weeks.
Sydney comes in at second with five of the top shopping centres, while Brisbane is home to four.
Here are the 20 most popular Australian shopping centres, according to Roy Morgan, along with their average number of customers in a four-week period:
1. Chadstone Shopping Centre 396,000
2. Westfield Parramatta 385,000
3. Melbourne Central 307,000
4. Westfield Chermside 303,000
5. Westfield Doncaster 290,000
6. Highpoint Shopping Centre 287,000
7. Macquarie Shopping Centre 281,000
8. Northland Shopping Centre 278,000
9. Westfield Bondi Junction 277,000
10. Westfield Garden City 268,000
11. Bourke Street Mall 265,000
12. Macarthur Square SC 265,000
13. Rundle Mall 261,000
14. Westfield Fountain Gate 256,000
15. Westfield Knox City 254,000
16. Castle Towers Shopping Centre 249,000
17. Westfield Carindale 240,000
18. Westfield Carousel 239,000
19. Indooroopilly Shopping Centre 238,000
20. Robina Town Centre 232,000
Never miss a story: sign up to SmartCompany’s free daily newsletter.
Be honest about your situation: How vulnerability helps businesses thrive Sue Parker DARE Group founder
Own it: The 10 things you need to do to manage your personal brand Lisa Stephenson Who Am I Projects founder
Six invaluable lessons: What 20 years in aged care taught me about being an entrepreneur Natasha Chadwick NewDirection Care founder
An entrepreneurial superpower: Eight tips to help develop resilience Adala Bolto ZADI Training co-founder
Going through a lull? Five areas you should invest in when sales drop Tamara Alaveras and Sonia Majkic 3 Phase Marketing co-founders
Stop telling us how busy you are, it's boring and charmless Ian Whitworth Scene Change co-founder
Blandification™ and the state of modern branding Jeffrey Oley The Offices co-founder
Why you should find the right role for the right person — not the other way around Bruce Stronge Outfit founder