Naming your company
- Your own name (although contractions can work, such as Adidas, from German athlete founder Adolph “Adi” Dassler).
- Descriptive names (Cool Air-Conditioning).
- Generic names (Babysitting Services).
- Trendy names (remember all the .com endings?).
- Names that are rude in other languages.
- Names that tie you to one country (America On Line, National Australia Bank).
- Too many syllables.
- Names that are hard to pronounce or spell.
- Whether you want to be near the top of alphabetical lists.
- Using an existing word that has nothing to do with your business (Apple, Virgin).
- Making up a word (Coca-Cola).
- Foreign words (Reebok, an African antelope).
- Clever contractions (Vodafone, from voice, date, telephone).