Hi Aunty B,
Just got my end-of-year figures and I desperately need to sell more this year or my head is for the chopping block.
Get business news first
Sign up to SmartCompany’s daily newsletter
Any ideas? I have to cut costs so don’t bother suggesting anything that is going to cost.
Please don’t print my name
PS: I was hoping to enter your awards but my revenue is down – not up. So can’t.
How dramatic. Maybe I should call you Headless or Clueless. Whatever.
Here are 10 ideas that top entrepreneurs use to get new business and they should not cost you a cent.
- You won’t find new business at your desk. So get up and go out! The true entrepreneur sees opportunities everywhere. Take up golf or ride the bus to work (that will save you money and help the environment). Talk passionately about what you do wherever you are (within reason.)
- Form alliances and do deals with complementary partners. Get links from their websites to yours.
- What are your competitors doing? Have a good look at them and then copy and improve.
- Talk to clients. What are their problems and how can you solve them?
- Ask for the sale.
- Become an industry expert. Develop a very strong reputation so people refer people to you. Start a blog
- Read! Read about other businesses that are successful in other industries. How do they get new business? Can you apply those ideas?
- List on free online directories
- Buy some cheap key words and learn to misspell.
- Get competitive. Look at your pricing, buy a competitor, open new offices or spend on a brand-building campaign. Yes, that will cost but it could be time to be aggressive!
And remember, Sorry, it is a boom economy and what’s that saying? In a strong wind even a turkey can fly.
What are you waiting for? Email your questions, problems and issues to [email protected] right now!
For more Aunty B…
“My staff are moonlighting. Where is the line?”
“Am I a bad boss?”
“My customer has become my competitor. Help”
“How do I market my new business with no money?”
“I’ve been attacked online. What do I do?”
“How can I tell if a foreign firm is legitimate?”
“It’s the shortest day and I’m tired of the grind”
“What should I outsource?”
“I am facing a gorilla of a competitor”
“How to I say no to pay rises but keep my staff?”
“Why can’t my logo be purple? What are my IP rights?”
“How can I cope with Gen Y know-it-alls?”
“My revenue is flatlining. Should I export?”
“Is my general manager blokey or sexist?”
“I am 46, web-unsavvy but run a web business. Help!”
“My Gen Y staff want to do a 360 degree and review my performance”
“How can I create a lifestyle with company money without becoming Christopher Skase?”
“My branch offices have an inferiority complex. Help!”
“Do I have to move my difficult staff member on?”
“My legal costs are exorbitant. Do I really need a lawyer?”
“My fellow director is in love with another company”
“Costs are blowing out. How do I turn into a tight arse?”
“What can I do about an employee’s bad breath?”
“What is the best way to ‘move on’ a nice person?”
“Will redesigning my website hurt my Google ranking?”
“My 2-I-C has become a problem? What can I do?”
“I’m feeling old… do I need a business coach?”
“What can I ask a potential recruit?”….