Dear Aunty B,
We are a medium sized business and recently we introduced some new software, did a major restructure (to improve customer service!) and we split a department into two.
The client got lost in the gap.
He had been complaining to one manager who failed to report it to the other manager.
Now I am concerned that as we grow, our service levels are falling. A few clients have also complained about the new order management process.
What is the quickest way to check? Do I need to bring in consultants?
Quick (as in entrepreneurial quick) and consultants is an oxymoron.
Look, you could have your answer by the end of tomorrow. How? Be a customer for the day. Recreate your customer’s experience by following an order through your company.
And you can’t do it as the owner. Do it as a customer, looking at it from the customer’s angle.
The things you are looking for are how many times the order moves from one department to the other.
- What are the gaps?
- Who is in charge of the order?
- How do they hand it over?
- Does everyone in every department know who are the most important customers?
- Does everyone understand who gets top priority?
- Does anyone who is far away from the customer make crucial decisions that affect the customer?
- How efficient is the cost estimation and pricing?
- How harmonious is the scheduling process?
- How efficient is the billing process?
- What happens if a customer disputes a bill?
- How efficient is the customer complaint system?
- How well doe your top management team understand the processes?
Haven’t got time? Really? It could be the best day in your company you ever spent!