Monday, August 6, 2007/
Great leadership needs vision – but vision without execution is just hallucination.
This week I was very fortunate to attend a function to hear Brian Bacon, president of the Oxford Leadership Academy, speak on purposeful leadership. I was so in tune with his thoughts that I am going to steal shamelessly again!
- To succeed leaders need to get alignment and engagement from their team.
- Strategy and character are required to do that – but if you have to choose the more powerful of these two, it is character!
- The reason for this is that vision without execution is hallucination!
- Great leaders need to focus on the things that make the biggest difference.
- Focus means staying the course.
Brian Bacon described a company/business like an iceberg – what you see above the water is strategy/plans /vision – but what is going on under that water is what is really driving the business.
Just as the iceberg is driven by the currents under the water, a business is driven by the attitudes, traditions, prejudices, feeling, fears and values of the organisation.
Leaders need to have emotional and spiritual intelligence to read the signs of what is really going on under the water.
So great leaders, he concluded, ensure that a business has:
- Meaning. Do your people have a sense of purpose? Belief in themselves and what the business is doing?
- Affiliation. Do your people have a sense of belonging?
- Security. Do your people feel safe enough to take risks?
- Trust. Do your people trust you – even those you don’t get along with?
- Energy. Is there passion and enthusiasm?
- Results. Results fall out of the above. If you have meaning, affiliation, security, trust, energy and passion, you will as a leader master the currents and align people with strategy.
For more High Heeled Success blogs, click here.
Feel the churn: How to bounce back after losing staff and clients Sue Parker DARE Group founder
Own it: The 10 things you need to do to manage your personal brand Lisa Stephenson Who Am I Projects founder
How to call your team into action with a winning presentation Emma Bannister Presentation Studio founder
The link between diet and mental health — and how to eat your way to wellbeing Kate Save Be Fit Food co-founder
From interactive videos to AI: The five marketing trends that will dominate 2019 Warwick Boulter Collaboro co-founder
Australia is leading the legaltech revolution, but what does this mean for lawyers, firms and clients? Jodie Baker Xakia founder
Why a video news release needs to be part of your PR strategy Leisa Goddard Adoni Media managing director
Want to catch more customers? Here's how to create a super sales funnel Jovana Vujnic Bumper Leads founder