It was 15 January, 2009 – exactly two months before my 30th birthday. That was the day I first found “it”.
“It” symbolised everything I’d ever wanted when I started my first business at age 15 and my first real estate agency at 21.
“It” represented “experience, knowledge, wisdom, understanding”. Almost everyone else in real estate had “it” when I first started.
- I’d had “it” at 21. Perhaps I wouldn’t have been mistaken for the receptionist so often.
- I’d had “it” at 18 perhaps I wouldn’t have felt the need to sell my beloved first car to get something that fitted in better with the black BMWs.
- If I’d had it at 20, perhaps I wouldn’t have pushed myself in the classroom to learn so much about my industry so that I could show in my own special way that while I didn’t have “it” I still knew enough to be an industry leader.
- If I’d had it at 24, perhaps I wouldn’t have taken so many risks on my crazy ideas, many of which paid off so well and helped us earn our reputation as true innovators.
- If I’d had “it” at 27, perhaps I wouldn’t have made the decision some said was crazy and sold out of my group of six real estate agencies.
Yes, it was 15 January 2009 – the day I saw my first grey hair.
But, you know what…I’m glad I didn’t have it before now, and I hope it doesn’t change the way I act in business now.
Despite “my age” and the fact I am being more traditional in the business arena now (with my grey hair to prove it) I still hope…
- I continue to take risks.
- I continue to feel like I need to go above and beyond.
- I continue to mess things up.
- I continue to be different.
Kirsty Dunphey is one of Australia’s most publicised young entrepreneurs and is the founder of www.reallysold.com – a tool to help real estate agents create advertisements. The youngest ever winner of the Australian Telstra Young Business Woman of the Year award, Kirsty started her first business at 15, her own real estate agency at 21, was a self-made millionaire at 23 and a self-made multi-millionaire at 25. For more information on Kirsty or either of her books – Advance to Go, Collect $1 Million and Retired at 27, If I can do it anyone can, or to sign up to her weekly newsletter head to: www.kirstydunphey.com