Successful people finish stuff
Tuesday, October 9, 2012/
I heard this line, “successful people finish stuff”, at a training conference recently. I’m sorry, I can’t even remember who said it, just that it resonated with me.
Every successful person I know, for want of more eloquent phrasing “finishes stuff”. Is it revolutionary? Breakthrough? Amazing? Nope. But is it bloody important? Absolutely.
So, I got thinking… if “Successful people finish stuff” – what else do they all do? I thought about the amazingly successful people around me and tried to find commonalities and here’s what I came up with, a list that was true in 99% of cases based on the successful people I know and have read about.
- believe in themselves (even if at times they have doubt)
- do things that aren’t always in other people’s comfort zones
- start somewhere (even if it’s a teeny tiny step in right direction)
- consult others, but listen to their gut
- don’t allow themselves to mope/wallow/dwell (for long)
- have role models
- mix it with cool people (note, cool here doesn’t mean the same as it meant in high school… think inspiring, achieving, encouraging people)
- continually learn
What else do successful people do? Love to hear your thoughts – comment on the blog…
Kirsty Dunphey is the youngest ever Australian Telstra Young Business Woman of the Year, author of two books (her latest release is Retired at 27: If I Can do it Anyone Can) and a passionate entrepreneur who started her first business at age 15 and opened her own real estate agency at 21.
Now Kirsty does lots of fun things which you can read about here. Her favourite current projects are Elephant Property, a boutique property management agency, Baby Teresa, a baby clothing line that donates an outfit to a baby in need for each one they sell and ReallySold, which helps real estate agents stop writing boring, uninteresting ads.