Strategically connecting with people is the best way to build your profile and your business – although too often we find ourselves connecting for the ‘sake of it’ instead of having a rock solid purpose behind it.
And there is always the risk that you are not connecting with purpose.
Unless you are very focused on where you want to head and what you want to achieve, it is a waste of time to have meetings, attend functions or connect with someone online. It is just collecting details without ever realising their potential.
Get daily business news.
The latest stories, funding information, and expert advice. Free to sign up.
If you find yourself busy, but not seeing results, consider the following points to get you back on track:
1. What do you want to achieve in the next twelve months: if you haven’t written these goals down it is time to start. Even if it is just three things. Write them down. Now. This helps you clarify them – and also review them.
2. What are your priorities in life and business, and do you review them daily? Weekly? Monthly? Ever? If you’re not reviewing your priorities, you won’t be able to adjust to opportunities.
3. Is this decision you’re currently making going to get you to that goal? Whether it is how to arrange your day or week. Every single decision you make will impact your life in several ways. Scope them out and make sure every decision is a step towards your goals.
4. What meetings do you need to cancel because they are not serving a purpose? Yes, look at your calendar and ask yourself ‘why’ you are meeting this person? If there is no clear benefit, can you really afford the time?
5. Are you attending the right events? Just because you receive an invitation to an event doesn’t mean you should be attending. This is a trap many business professionals fall into. Analyse the benefits of the event. If there aren’t any benefits, why are you going?
6. Value your time. Because you can’t get it back.
Now ask yourself, what are your plans for today?
P.S., if you need some help with direction, check out my branding video and get yourself sorted ASAP.
Amanda Rose is the only ‘strategic connector’ in Australia, a Brand Strategist, Speaker, Host of Amanda Rose TV, Founder and CEO of The Business Woman Media. Quoted as an “internet winning blogger” by TIME.com. Follow Amanda on Twitter.