Battery World has scooped the pool to win the Innovation and Franchise Executive of the Year awards at last night’s Excellence in Franchise Awards.
The franchise innovation award recognises an individual or group within a system responsible for creating a successful business innovation and Battery World won for its initiative in recycling batteries at its stores.
SmartCompany was the sponsor of the innovation award and SmartCompany publisher James Thomson says it’s great to be able to recognise businesses like Battery World.
“Smart companies are innovative companies, so that’s why we have got behind the franchise innovation award,” Thomson says.
Kerry Hannah, marketing manager at Battery World, says innovation comes from both necessity and “a crazy idea” that is sometimes hard to roll out into a franchised group.
“So it is not always easy to put into something that is systemised but within those ideas there is always something you can pull out and work through,” Hannah says.
“That’s why you join a franchise group, because you want the assistance to take those ideas to the next level.”
Franchise Council of Australia executive director Steve Wright said in difficult economic times the Australian franchise sector has outperformed the rest of the small business market.
“These outstanding businesses and individuals are great examples of the entrepreneurial skill and determination that has made the sector so resilient,” Wright said.
The full list of winners is:
- Established Franchisor of the Year – 7-Eleven
- Emerging Franchisor of the Year – Luxottica Franchising
- Multi-Unit Franchisee of the Year – Michelle and Tony Graham, PoolWerx
- Franchisee of the Year, two or more staff – Craig Mason, Sign-a-rama
- Franchisee of the Year, less than two staff – Daniel Conroy, Mister Minit
- Franchise Woman of the Year – Carolyn McManus, The Coffee Club
- Supplier of the Year – FC Business Solutions
- Franchise Executive of the Year – John Pascoe, Battery World Australia
- Field Manager of the Year – Shane McMillan, Mister Minit
- Excellence in Marketing – Fastway Couriers
- International Franchising – Gelatissimo
- Franchise Innovation – Battery World Australia
- Franchisor Social Responsibility – Bakers Delight and Bendigo Bank
- Franchisee Community Service – Jo and Maurie Patterson, Bakers Delight
- Contribution to Franchising – Philip Ciniglio
- Franchise Hall of Fame – Christine Taylor, Aussie Pooch Mobile and John O’Brien, PoolWerx
This story first appeared on SmartCompany.