This article first appeared May 13, 2011.
Here’s a simple task to get your week off to a good start and reconnect with your employees – spend an hour or two sitting at the desk of your employee and talking about the week ahead.
Get business news first
Sign up to SmartCompany’s daily newsletter
It’s a great way to combine some morale boosting with some performance management and some goal setting.
Find out about your employee’s weekend, and then get down to business. Some things to cover off include:
- Their most recent project/task.
- How that project/task went.
- What they learnt from that project/task.
- What they are working on now.
- What help/support/advice they need with that project.
- Any issues they are having not related to their work.
Make it quick, make it friendly, make it relatively informal. But it’s a great way to take the pulse of the office and ensure everyone is one track.
Get it done – today!