A total of 14 SMEs will share in more than $260,000 to advance their innovation or commercialisation activity, as part of the WA government’s Innovation Vouchers Program.
The program, which provides financial assistance of up to $20,000 for each recipient, was established to help WA-based SMEs achieve success on their path to commercialisation.
Get daily business news.
The latest stories, funding information, and expert advice. Free to sign up.
“The Western Australian government recognises that SMEs have great ideas in the palm of their hands,” the website says.
“Taking these ideas and turning them into new and sustainable business opportunities with real commercial outcomes can sometimes be difficult. Timing is paramount.”
The aim of the IVP is to enable SMEs to develop relationships with research providers and specialist commercialisation support services.
To be eligible for the program, applicants must be WA-based businesses that employ less than 200 people.
They need to have evidence of a net cash co-investment of matched funds at a rate no less than 20:80 of applicant to state government funding.
Finally, they must not have received, nor are likely to receive, other Department of Commerce funding for the same project or initiative.
The latest round of recipients covers a broad range of ideas. Some of the standouts include:
- Australian Grown Superfoods Pty Ltd is aiming to establish an Australian-based industry for quinoa, a new wave of super food.
- Bioactive Solutions is conducting research into the development of a cure and preventative solution for colon cancer.
- Cocky Smart Pty Ltd is engaging a commercialisation expert to progress an eco-friendly, safe and effective repellent against flystrike in sheep.
- Ezifix Mining Solutions Pty Ltd is designing a safer and cheaper conveyor belt maintenance system for the global mining industry.
- No-Rock Cafe Tables Pty Ltd wants to engage an industrial design agency to assist in the production of a device to stabilise table legs.
- Shift Geophysics Pty Ltd requires patent assistance for the technology behind a new unmanned aircraft.
- Wintermute Metals Pty Ltd is planning further development of an eco-friendly process to recycle platinum group metals from car wrecks and exhausts.
- HP Wellhead Solutions requires commercialisation advice for a unique valve to control offshore oil or gas wells against wellhead blowouts.