Can I fix the default on my credit file?

After a divorce my ex incurred a debt with a major telco.


When they couldn’t find her they came after me, with a note on my credit file. I helped them get their money and was promised that the mark on my file would be removed once the debt was cleared.

The debt was cleared; the mark remained. When I reminded them of our arrangement I was told ‘sue us’. This has been going for four years and has caused me embarrassment as well as inconvenience (eg. I had to put company mobile phones in my private name, but was refused service my some preferred suppliers).

I’ve been thinking of taking them to court, out of principle. But the cost, stress, inconvenience and distraction are putting me off. Is there somewhere I can go to have this addressed?

There are avenues you can utilise to have your complaint addressed. However, you must be aware that it is standard procedure for a default to remain on a persons credit file for up to five years – it can be listed as paid, however it will not be removed.


The following steps can be taken to address concerns you may have about your credit file:


  • Step 1: If you haven’t done so already, get a copy of your credit report. If the information in your credit record is wrong or misleading you can make a complaint.
  • Step 2: Write to the credit provider to raise your dispute. You need to give reasons as to why the listing is misleading or incorrect.

Step 3: If you do not receive a satisfactory response to your complaint you can make a written complaint to the Federal Privacy Commissioner.


Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
SmartCompany Plus

Sign in

To connect a sign in method the email must match the one on your SmartCompany Plus account.
Or use your email
Forgot your password?

Want some assistance?

Contact us on: or call the hotline: +61 (03) 8623 9900.