With all the hype about the new privacy laws coming in and businesses having to be ready by March this coming year, we thought it was helpful to give you the quick version of what you need to know.
What’s the hype?
Privacy is a strong focus for Australian regulators (and around the world). There continue to be changes to the Privacy Act 1988 and the most recent changes require businesses to comply before March 12, 2014.
Do I need to do anything?
1. The type of personal information that you collect and hold.
2. How you collect and hold personal information.
Get SmartCompany FREE to your inbox every weekday.
3. The purposes for which you collect, hold, use and disclose personal information.
4. How an individual may access personal information you hold and how to correct that information.
5. How an individual may complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), and how you will deal with a complaint.
6. Whether you are likely to disclose personal information to overseas (or any) other people or organisations and, if so, the countries in which they are likely to be located.
Usually, the best place to make your policy available is on your website. It has to be easily available to anyone coming to your website and must be up-to-date, relevant to your business and not copied from another site.
How often do I have to update it?
There is a strong focus on privacy and consumer protection with the growth of the internet. With many rogue businesses from around the world cropping up, governments are putting the emphasis on protecting consumers locally by placing stricter requirements on business owners. There are likely to be required updates on a regular basis due to the continued growth of online businesses and the attempts to standardize privacy globally. You need to ensure you keep up with the changes as a business owner. Some sites offer legal templates with free updates and also have blogs that you can sign up for to keep up to date (we offer both at Legal123.com.au!).
Why else would I bother?
Just make sure you comply with the requirements in the next few months.