By all reports, 2017 has been a hell of a year for Australian startups. We’ve seen more money flow into the sector than ever before, startups winning big in local and international competitions, and thousands of new ventures race out of the starting blocks to build and disrupt.
At StartupSmart, we’ve endeavoured to cover all these highs and lows of the year, serving you, our readers, the most important, informative, or inspirational moments of the day. We’ve taken a moment to reflect on some of our most-read stories this year and give you a chance to catch up on any we missed.
From blockchain to Shark Tank, 2017’s top stories are overwhelmingly positive and inspirational, with over half focusing on startups seeing success in raising capital. We’ve also included a list of five pieces from the StartupSmart archives that our readers continued to find valuable throughout the year.
Check out our selection of stories below.
- From raising $550,000 to appearing on Shark Tank: Recruitment startup iRecruit enters liquidation as founders focus on new venture
- Bill Gates reveals the three industries he’d dive into if he was starting out today
- Power Ledger receives part of $8 million government grant for Fremantle blockchain energy project
- Sydney fintech startup Spriggy raises $2.5 million to change the way parents give their children pocket money
- It’s like Uber but for jobs: Melbourne startup Weploy to launch on-demand recruitment platform after raising $1 million
- Shark Tank recap: iCapsulate lands massive $2.5 million investment, locking in biggest Shark Tank deal ever
- After securing $500,000, Sydney beauty startup Glamazon lands partnership with global software platform MINDBODY
- Twelve books every ambitious entrepreneur should read
- The 10 biggest capital raises from Aussie startups so far this year
- Australian startups to share in $90 million NEM blockchain investment fund
From the StartupSmart archives
- How legally binding is a Memorandum of Understanding?
- Top five government grants for startups
- Five top business ideas that made millions fast
- The 50 best places to work in Australia revealed
- Why I didn’t go through with my Shark Tank deal and ended up selling my business instead