Apple’s ‘bendgate’ scandal smoulders on: Man claims leg was burned after iPhone 6 bends and catches fire in his pocket
Tuesday, October 21, 2014/
A man in the US has claimed his leg was burned after his iPhone 6 bent and caught on fire in his front pocket, as the susceptibility of the devices to bending continues to be a hot issue for Apple.
In a blog post, business coach Phillip Lechter says he rode on a rickshaw to a tailgate party before a University of Arizona football game.
During the ride, the rickshaw tipped to the left after a bump, but did not entirely tip over and Lechter says he was not thrown out. He claims his iPhone 6 was in a leather case at the time.
Lechter alleges the iPhone burn through his jeans and boxer shorts, causing a 11.5 cm x 10.5 cm second degree burn on his leg, while a bystander who tried to pick up the phone immediately after the incident burnt his fingers.
News of the latest accident comes as a website called One of the Nine has responded to claims by Apple that only nine users complained of bent iPhones in its first six days on sale by collecting photos from 139 users who have claimed their iPhones have bent.
Following initial reports of bent iPhones, tests by Consumer Reports in September showed it takes just 31 kg of pressure to deform an Apple iPhone 6. The tech giant’s public relation department allegedly blacklisted a German publication for bending an iPhone 6 on camera.
Danger, danger: The long-term risk of having one mammoth client Ian Whitworth Scene Change co-founder
Why brick-and-mortar will drive e-commerce by turning stores into distribution centres Brenton Gill Radaro managing director
Play, refine and grow: How I started a successful shoe business with just $100 Sarah Nally Sienna Baby founder
How we created an engaging online course with a 91% completion rate Emma Green Your CEO Mentor co-founder
Flexible working is all the rage, so here are six tips to help you get started Alison Michalk Quiip founder
Four tips for playing the long game in business, from Victoria's Small Business Woman of the Year Fiona White Own Body founder