Samsung and Apple sold nearly one in every two smartphones worldwide during 2012
Wednesday, December 19, 2012/
Samsung and Apple sold just under half of all smartphones shipped worldwide, according to new annual worldwide smartphone sales estimates for 2012.
The IHS iSupply figures show Samsung led the worldwide smartphone market in 2012, accounting for 28% of sales, with Apple accounting for 20% of sales, for a combined total of around 48% of the worldwide smartphone market.
Both market leaders experienced significant year-on-year growth, with Samsung claiming 20% of the worldwide market in 2011 and Apple claiming 19%, representing a combined total of around 39%.
Nokia, HTC and BlackBerry-maker RIM rounded out the top five with 5% each, with each company suffering significant year-on-year declines. In 2011, Nokia claimed 16% of the market, HTC had 9% and RIM claimed 11%, although the marketshare declines come against the backdrop of a rapidly growing market.
The figures also examined overall mobile phone sales, including feature phones, finding Samsung (29%), Nokia (24%) and Apple (10%) taking out the top three spots. Samsung and Nokia effectively traded places since 2011, when Nokia claimed 30% of the market and Samsung 24%, while Apple’s share grew from 7% to 10% despite not making any feature phones.
The top five were rounded out by ZTE, which claimed the same 6% marketshare as it did in 2011, and LG, which saw its marketshare slip from 6% to 4%.
Social media mishaps: Why businesses should think twice before cracking jokes online Catriona Pollard CP Communications founder
An ‘opportunity-hunting’ generation: Here's what millennial workers need and want Karen Gately Corporate Dojo founder
Spilling the beans: Why inviting someone to 'grab a coffee' is disingenuous and unnecessary Sue Parker DARE Group founder
Why success is simple, motivational speakers suck and Eye of The Tiger is dead to me Ian Whitworth Scene Change co-founder
How Emily McWaters manages her Sydney-based business from Kangaroo Island Emily McWaters The Hamper Emporium chief
Why 'Orwellian' performance monitoring is crucial to building an ethical company culture Michael Kodari Kodari Securities chief