The number of tablets in the US has doubled to 19%, according to a new Forrester Research survey, with 42% of consumers now connecting their TVs to the internet.
When it comes to connecting a television to the internet, the most popular method is to use a video game console (42%), connected “smart” TVs are also growing in popularity (19%) while 14% use an internet connected set top box (for example Apple TV).
Other key findings of the survey include:
- Generation Z have the highest social media penetration, with 84% on Facebook. The average person in Gen Z has 306 Facebook friends.
- More than 70% of Gen Ys have a smartphone and more than a quarter own a tablet.
- Gen X is the highest average household income of the age brackets.
- Baby boomers are embracing tablets, with the percentage owning one growing from 6% last year to 14% in 2012.
- The golden generation is the generation most likely to own a desktop PC.