Google completes $US2.91 billion sale of Motorola to Lenovo
Thursday, October 30, 2014/
Google has officially closed its $US2.91 billion ($A3.29 billion) sale of its Motorola smartphone business to Chinese electronics giant Lenovo, completing a deal first announced in January.
In a post on its official blog, Motorola’s chief operating officer Rick Osterloh says the company, which is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lenovo, will continue to be headquartered in Chicago’s Merchandise Mart.
“With an impressive portfolio of smartphones, wearables and PCs, our two companies will be uniquely positioned to push the boundaries of choice and value, and bring exciting new experiences to people everywhere,” Osterloh says.
Osterloh also says the Motorola brand will continue, along with its Moto and DROID series of smartphones, and its offices around the world (including in Silicon Valley) will remain open.
According to recent reports, Lenovo chief executive Yang Yuanqing intends to pursue a two-brand strategy, with the Motorola brand set to return to the tablet market alongside Lenovo’s own ThinkPad series of Windows tablets.
Earlier this month, speculation resurfaced Lenovo, which is the world’s largest PC maker by volume, intends to launch a takeover bid for BlackBerry.
All that glitters is not gold: The upsurge of paid followers and engagement on LinkedIn Sue Parker DARE Group founder
Bin juice bingers: How to avoid the sinister clutches of the procurement department and its cold benchmarking Ian Whitworth Scene Change co-founder
Locked and uploaded: How to take bricks-and-mortar stores digital with video Michael Langdon Levity director
Why retailers have no idea about the future Dean Salakas The Party People chief
There's only one way to attract and retain millennial talent — but it'll cost you a few bricks Lauren Lowe Future Fitouts co-founder
Advice for going green, from one chief executive to another James Chin Moody Sendle co-founder