With mobile firmly established, there is nowhere to hide in this phase of the technology boom. Google are predicting 40% of smartphone owners are researching their purchases via their mobile and 46% of tablet owners do the same.
SMEs are just starting to feel comfortable with Google AdWords and social media, and now mobile! However, it does not have to be as daunting as you think and it is critical you adopt mobile elements into your business planning.
Here are a few tips to help you activate your mobile plan:
Get business news first
Sign up to SmartCompany’s daily newsletter
1. Make your website mobile friendly. This is very important for B2C companies. We are going through redeveloping our own site and it is critical to make sure it works on mobile, even for a B2B organisation like our own.
2. Short codes, when used with direct marketing can work well to gain good response rates. All the major carriers can help you with short codes or try www.clickatel.com.
3. PPC (pay-per-click) mobile advertising is highly effective. Don’t let some code put you off. Add cookie code and directly link to specific mobile landing pages to gain an impulse or researched purchase. Use a mobile Ad Network; some suppliers are listed here.
4. Social media is mobile; you need to leverage both of these together, along with your SEO strategy to drive specific results to specific promotions through the use of the freely available APIs on all the major social networks.
5. Listing is big, especially local listings, and is dominant in Google mobile search results:
- Business listing on Google
- Local council directories
- Local directory sites
6. Make sure all your product information is on your mobile site. Statistics show more and more of us are searching for information on our mobile while we shop in store.
7. SMS still works, as long as you have sought permission. Do not send SMS promotions just because you have collected someone’s mobile number. If they want specials or promotions by mobile, it is a great way to promote. Lots of companies can help you here, for example, www.burstsms.com.au, www.smscentral.com.au or www.smsbroadcast.com.au.
8. Don’t be cheap. Invest in mobile and get some good advice. It is the major channel of force and commerce this year.
Fi Bendall is the managing director of digital and interactive consultancy company Bendalls Group. With over 20 years’ experience, Bendall has worked with global brands including BBC and Virgin, and is an expert in how businesses can approach strategy in the digital world. You can follow her on Twitter at @FiBendall, and can contact her through Bendalls Group.