An application hosting framework is enterprise language for figuring out how the company will move its current applications into cloud applications. There are some clear steps to this process.
- Figure out what applications your business has in use
- Figure out which of them can be migrated or not
- Of those that can be migrated, which will we choose to move?
- Prepare a budget for each project
- Do a cost-benefit analysis
- Make a decision and commit funds to action
- Plan projects
- Take action
- Test all aspects in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) before deploying
- Deploy the change
- Train your team in how to use the tools even if they have not changed much
- Start again
The move to the cloud is already happening. In many cases the solution is a hybrid of cloud and traditional servers on site or in data centres.
Getting your strategy right to ensure you make the most of existing infrastructure and licensing is the key. This migration to the cloud needs to be of benefit in improved functionality or reduced cost or both.
It’s not about cool; it’s about getting technology right to support your business.
Getting the phasing right will ensure you get the most out of your investment to date, as well as taking advantage of emerging technology.
Now to make it real we throw in the question of who will provide services in migration and support to manage your risk and ensure your continuity.
Also consider security. What will secure your data in the new era?
David Markus is the founder of Combo – the IT services company that is known for solving business problems with IT. How can we help?
You can help us (and help yourself)
Now, there’s a way you can help us keep doing this: by becoming a SmartCompany supporter.